Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Working for a Living

Happy Belated Wednesday Readers,

This day almost didn't happen for the Open Mic. Since its 11:48, that should be obvious. Happily I can't pin this on a lack of trying, because that is all I've done all day. I started at 5:45 this morning buckling up for another round of college class registration, tutored a few public speaking students, and spent almost nine hours selling candy and making Subway sandwiches in a gas station. I've been busy. Meanwhile my wife has been home buying us food, cleaning house, and going to her own college classes.

I've accepted the fact that I have to work so much at this stage in my life that I almost don't have a life, but that is more than okay. When I take stock of my life right now I can't honestly complain. I might always be afraid of impending financial or educational doom yes, but knowing I have a place to call home, food to call mine, two working (one of them semi-pretty) cars, and a miraculous woman to come home to, working day in and day out to support that isn't so bad.

Truly it is more scary for those who don't have this kind of life because they refuse to reach out and claim it. I'm not citing any extreme, unnecessary handout chasers because they are the exception rather than the rule, though they are there and their problem is very real. Instead I'm talking about the almost automatic urge we have to cut corners. Slowly but surely a job well done is becoming a job done as little as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment