Thursday, March 20, 2014

Little Details

Back After Showing Life Who's Boss Readers,

My best writing trait is starting writing projects, and my worst is actually finishing them. I could tell you about ten different book ideas right now, and only three of them have any text written. Sad, I know, but at least it keeps my mind fresh when I want to (and - heaven forbid- ever have TIME to) write; if I'm stuck on one idea I can move to another until the creative juices flow back around to the right genre. I want to use the Open Mic as a sounding board for some of these ideas, comment on whether you would read this book and why or why not. If I'm going to get any of these in a Barnes and Noble near you one day, I need to get them in the public eye sometime, sooner rather than later. Here is the forward to the best developed autobiography/ life lesson book I want to finish. I love the idea:

“I finally got married. Wow, half of life’s major events are over, all I have to do now is have kids and die.”  It might not be an accurate thought, but I like to think it’s a clever thought. And by clever, I mean hopeful that it’s true. I was sure that it would take me significantly longer to find someone worth marrying, years even. I was even content with that idea. Judging by the girls that I have tried to date, I had decided figuring them out would be like finding hay in a needle stack in the middle of the night, blindfolded. It was way easier to write this whole thing off as too hard and just not take the plunge, play it extremely safe until sometime in never when I would somehow have enough guts to date someone.
             My parents saw this in me pretty quick. By the time I had been sat down and lectured about dating for the third time, even looking at a girl was stressful, let alone talking to one. At least in my own mind I was the dorky fifteen year old brother to every young woman I met. Then I ran into an old acquaintance, a sweet girl by the name of Megan. Marriage is a sobering thought; at least it was until it happened. It came and went in such a blur that it took weeks for the finality to sink in. Once it hit me that I was married to a person I really could be happy with, someone who was as excited to be with me as I was with them, I started to realize something important.
            I have seen glimpses of this life lesson before, but from my newlywed vantage point I can understand it better now. Everybody steers so much of their daily energy toward the next massive milestone in their life; graduation, moving out, the next semester, getting married, having children, a career, and all that does need some serious daily attention, I know. What I’m coming to find out though, despite the big things, is that there is never enough attention given to the little details. I’m talking about the minutes, even seconds of time where the breathtaking beauty of life can be seen, uncluttered and clear as crystal. These are moments that make you take a step out of your life to reflect, where you take a long, serious, and grateful look at what your life is, what it really is. When I say beauty I don’t mean to cut out some of the harsher times too. There is beauty in the pounding of a good rainstorm, and the world is always cleaner and brighter for it. Sometimes nothing is more valuable and more formative than adversity, in my experience I would almost say all the time nothing is more valuable or more formative.
            This brings us to why you’re reading this, and why I’m writing it. I’m blaming it on my marriage, because before then my life was really my own, and the little details of my life were mine to discover. Now I get to share all of them with another person, my wife, and sharing them has become a more appealing idea every passing day. Some of these details are too precious to keep to myself, and hopefully by hearing some of mine, you can start seeing them in your own life too. The idea is gratitude, in one word. Gratitude for every sweet, miserable, tough, hilarious, heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, joyful little detail in my life, both those behind me and those in front of me. If I haven’t scared you off yet, mission accomplished. Keep reading.


Little Details: Insights of a Newlywed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment