Monday, March 31, 2014

Sultry Poultry Monday #4

Happy Frosted Monday Readers,

Every once in a great while, an entire writing idea falls out of the clear blue sky while I'm minding my own business. I formed a new book plot after seeing a unique last name on a headstone, for instance. Last year while plowing through yet another college semester, this idea fell out of nowhere and hit me. I wrote it and forgot about it until this morning when trying to decide what to show you lovely people. I forgot how much fun it was to put together.

Thoughts on the Stone Steps

I’m trudging up the stone steps,
Swimming in the smell of cologne and hormones.
Everyone having somewhere to be,
No one wanting to get there.

Much stronger is the allure of a boy, a girl,
A passing glance at time wasted as it flies out the open windows of their minds.
Cavernous minds that yawn open, mostly hollow,
Only a small puddle of knowledge gathered on its floor.

Have they forgotten why they have come?
The relentless pursuit to fill that cavern with glory.
Sweat, sacrifice, tears and terror brought them here.
What keeps them here?

Many choose to forget the glory.
Many are ruled by that empty space and fill it with rocks.
Or with nothing,
Proverbial pebbles in the road pulling their sights from heaven.

I think to place myself above it,
Knowing as I say it that I lie.
Glory has always been my goal,
But natural man hungers for self indulgence
In distraction.

Resistance is not in fact futile.
In the war between man and spirit, man wins only what spirit
Concedes.
Godly command of self is the curriculum of life.

All this like a bolt from the blue
As I watch time wasted

And trudge up the stone steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment