Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cold and Honest Thoughts on Taxes

Start Every Morning with a Smile Readers,

I hate filing taxes. There was a time that I had no idea what a tax return was. When I was fifteen I just worked, and somehow ended up with more money from the tax fairy every spring. I knew the tax fairy was grandpa (a CPA for almost all his professional career), but didn't have to worry about how the magic worked.

This time around has been a nightmare, even with Turbotax. It never ceases to amaze me how many hoops the government can come up with for people to jump through. At the beginning of this tax journey to Mordor, I saw, realized, and told people that the only reason for so many hoops is just another play for the government to take as much as they can from us. The system discourages refunding us simply because of its complexity.

"Of course you can have a tax refund Mr. Rudd, all you need to do is sign here, here, here, one more here, give a drop of blood here, swear your firstborn to us here, take the ring back to Mount Doom here, and finish with a backside 360 superman seat grab through the last flaming hoop right..... here."

"But... but I don't know how to do a backside 360 superman seat grab."

"Oh, you don't ? Please take a number, we'll be with you shortly."

I have never felt the government was my ally, and have never met anyone who does feel that way. The government does not seem to be aiding me, just opposing me. Aside from securing our freedom (which is being compromised further every day in the name of security), the government has done little for me except instill a fear and hatred of what they do. At least when the taxes are filed correctly I'll get my money back, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment